With your vehicle being the second largest investment, proper maintenance is the utmost importance. Let’s look at top auto care tips to keep your vehicle in tip-top-shape.
According to an article at esurance.com, “Auto Maintenance Tips”
It’s easy to take those tires for granted. But according to safercar.gov, more than 11,000 tow-away (that is, pretty serious) crashes annually are caused, in part, by tire issues.
- Check air pressure: Underinflated tires are 3 times more likely to cause a serious accident than their properly pumped counterparts. Use a pressure gauge to test them at least once a month and make sure the pressure matches the recommendation listed in your vehicle’s manual or on the tire sidewall.
- Rotate your tires: For longer tread life, rotate every 6,000 to 8,000 miles.
- Check the alignment when you rotate the tires: Poor alignment can lead to uneven tread wear.
- Change the oil and check the fluids
As a general rule, check your oil each month and change it as directed by your owner’s manual. If you don’t drive that frequently, you can likely go a bit longer.
Oil isn’t the only fluid your car needs. Around the time you change your oil, remember to check your power-steering, automatic transmission, wiper, and brake fluids.
- Test the lights
Flip on your headlights, tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals while your car is parked and make sure each one is working. Aside from being a safety hazard, a broken bulb might get you a fix-it ticket. If a bulb is out, take your car to an expert who can determine whether it’s the bulb or the fuse that needs replacing.
- Replace windshield wipers
If you notice that your wipers aren’t working like they used to, don’t let the problem linger until you end up in a downpour with no view of the road ahead. Snapping in a couple of new blades is a quick and affordable fix.
- Check your air filter
Pull out the filter and hold it up to a strong light. If you can’t see light through it, it’s time to replace it. A clean air filter can improve your car’s performance.” To read the entire article click here.