Will you be handing over the keys to your teenager soon? Is your teen ready for the responsibility that comes with owning their first vehicle? Here are a few topics to discuss with your teen on the responsibility of owning their first car.
According to an article at teensguidetomoney.com, “First Time Car Owners”
“Gas and Maintenance: These prices will probably differ based on where you live. Make sure you can afford all the expenses that go with owning and driving a car. Rule of Thumb: add at least $225 for gas and maintenance per month (Hybrids are cheaper!). Again, if you can’t afford to properly maintain your desired vehicle, get a less expensive one!
- Use the gas the manufacturer recommends, not a higher or lower octane.
- Take good care of your car. Follow the maintenance schedule from your car manufacturer.
- Change the oil every 3,000 miles. At the same time, have the garage check all fluids in your car.
- Check your tires often to make sure they have the proper amount of air (varies based on the type of car and tire manufacturer). This can affect your gas mileage, ride and, most important, safety.
- Look for tread wear on your tires. One quick way to check is to take a penny and insert it head first into several tread grooves. If you see the top of Lincoln’s head, your treads are worn and your tires need to be replaced. Check all of them. Make sure the four tires are the same make and model. If you want to upgrade or change the make and model, change them all.
- Align and balance your tires every 12,000 miles.
- Rotate your tires every 6,000 miles.” To read the entire article click here.
Whether your vehicle requires preventative auto maintenance or auto repairs, Xpress Lube looks forward to meeting all your Reno auto care needs. Contact Xpress Lube at 775-787-1000 or visit xpresslubereno.com.